Stock price changes and asset-equity balance

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 5 17:50:27 EST 2010

Clayton--

Keeping in mind that I am Not An Accountant, my understanding is that in that equation you cite, the current value of stocks is immaterial. What matters is the original cost to you. Once you have purchased a share of stock, that stock's value to you is what you paid for it. It truly only takes on a different value once you actually sell it, at which point you create a split for the gain or loss.

You could look at the difference between Gnucash's calculation and the (correct) zero balance of the grand equation as a barometric measure of your investments' performance. The difference is the overall unrealized gain or loss.

I am not looking at the reports right now, but I believe that one of the options is to select different dates for pricing such assets, and changing it to purchase price would hold these steady.

David