Stock price changes and asset-equity balance

Clayton Macdonald cm1950 at fastmail.fm
Tue Jan 5 20:53:27 EST 2010

So many helpful responses! Thanks to everyone! I'd like to send a note
addressing each comment individually, with thanks, but I have other
demands on my time - or am a bit too lazy. Not ungrateful, however.

Altogether, though, you've made it clear that GnuCash is not set up to
handle non-cash assets in the way I was hoping to do it. That's fine -
it's in the nature of the software and now that I know it, I'm not
complaining.

Several commented in the context of treating changes in asset value as
unrealized value and, therefore, not to be tracked until the asset is
converted to cash. Since I'm decidedly not an accountant I can't argue
with that, but I will note that I have accounts in both euros and
dollars. Despite constant changes in the relative value of these assets
and despite my not  converting say dollars to euros in order to
"realize" the gain or loss, GnuCash very happily balances assets against
equity. Oh well, go figure.

Particular thanks are due Don Quixote for the detailed instructions for
setting up a spread sheet. Actually, I've been using a spreadsheet for
years, but have never had a real double entry system. That has led to
some really stupid entry errors that have been hard to track down. A big
part of my having moved to GnuCash was a hope that I'd be able to get a
proper double entry system up and running with less pain than building a
whole new spreadsheet accounting system that really worked.

Again, thanks to everyone!