Problems with searching the archive of the mailing list

Yawar Amin yawar.amin at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 19:28:11 EST 2010

On 1/5/10 10:27 AM, Ulrike Fischer said:
> [...]
>> Well, I'm not surprised that 'sheduled' returned nothing.
>>

> Well I wrote "sheduled" in the posting (as a german I have a
> tendency to convert "sch" in "sh" when writing english/englisch ;-))
>

>> You'd get more with "scheduled".
>>

> I get more hits but still the one posting is not found.

I don't think the search algorithm is smart enough to know that
`sheduled' and `scheduled' are the same word. So, if you originally
wrote `sheduled', you'd have to search for that spelling as well. In
fact I just tried to do that (search query:
https://lists.gnucash.org/search/?query=sheduled+transactions&submit=Search!&max=100&result=normal&sort=score&idxname=gnucash-user
), but didn't get the Feb 2009 posting that should have been in the
results. In fact I got your original post that started this thread,
which proves that the message bodies are being indexed as well (since
the words `sheduled transactions' only appear in the message body)!
Maybe the indexer discards the message bodies after a few months,
keeping only the message headers indexed to save space?

In any case, I tried the search at Nabble, which readily found the
thread from last year:
http://old.nabble.com/forum/Search.jtp?query=sheduled+transactions&local=y&forum=1251&daterange=0&startdate=&enddate=

I also tried at Gmane, which was also successful:
http://search.gmane.org/?query=sheduled+transactions&group=gmane.comp.gnome.apps.gnucash.user

Maybe GnuCash could `outsource' its list storage and/or search
functionality to Nabble or Gmane? I think Gmane is faster, and also has
been around longer. If I understand it right, in practical terms, this
might simply mean when the user at https://lists.gnucash.org/search/
types in the query and hits `Search!', the handler function just
redirects the search to Nabble/Gmane?

Yawar