looking for pointers on templated on-demand transactions

Fred Bone Fred.Bone at dial.pipex.com
Wed Jan 6 17:03:42 EST 2010

On 05 January 2010 at 20:41, Tim Peiffer said:

> I am looking for a pointer on setting up templated push transactions.  I
> have a regular transaction that would be split among principle/purchase
> and various taxes that I would like to set up similar to a scheduled
> transaction.  But rather than posting on a date, I would like to call the
> template and push a payment posting on-demand.  The reason for that is
> that I have budgeted items that may (or may not) occur.   Rather than
> dealing with posted scheduled transactions and deleting in the case that
> an event did not occur or moving the posted date for one that occurred on
> an irregular date, I would like to just have a template ready and manually
> post by hand.  Are there any ways to do this with GnuCash?

The way I do it is with SXs. You just need to go into the Scheduled
Transaction Editor when you decide to execute the transaction, and change
the due-date to today. Then run Since Last Run. There's only a problem if
you need to do two the same in one day - when this happens, I do one for
yesterday and change the transaction date, then another for today.

This assumes that you need to parameterise the txn (I do: total amounts
vary, so splits need to be calculated). If every run is the same value
and the splits are the same, then the approach suggested by FireFly is
better.