looking for pointers on templated on-demand transactions

FireFly fireflys_98 at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 6 00:26:32 EST 2010

> From: Tim Peiffer <peiffer at umn.edu>
> Date: Tuesday, January 5, 2010, 6:41 PM
> I am looking for a pointer on setting
> up templated push transactions.  I have a regular
> transaction that would be split among principle/purchase and
> various taxes that I would like to set up similar to a
> scheduled transaction.  But rather than posting on a
> date, I would like to call the template and push a payment
> posting on-demand.  The reason for that is that I have
> budgeted items that may (or may not)
> occur.   Rather than dealing with posted
> scheduled transactions and deleting in the case that an
> event did not occur or moving the posted date for one that
> occurred on an irregular date, I would like to just have a
> template ready and manually post by hand.  Are there
> any ways to do this with GnuCash?
>
> Please advise,

Give it a unique description

If you have a transaction setup with a description of say "my transaction" and it's a big multi-way split, anytime you start a transaction and put the description as "my transaction" in one of the registers that it impacts, it will put up that big multi-way split as the default, if you change it, then subsequent times you put in "my transaction" will use, I think, the last occurence of "my transaction" as a template for the next one.

- James Duerr

E-mail: FireFlys_98 at yahoo.com