Help/documentation installation on Mac

James Wilde james.wilde at sunde-wilde.com
Mon Jan 11 10:51:15 EST 2010

On Jan 11, 2010, at 16:23 , John Ralls wrote:

> On Jan 11, 2010, at 3:33 AM, James Wilde wrote:
>
> The documentation is provided in HTML format in the app bundle, as noted in the Readme file.

Thanks, John.  Looks like it might be the same stuff as the two pdfs I d/l'd from the GC site, to judge by the name.

> Being able to use the help menu as Gnucash is written requires Yelp (Gnome's help reader), Scrollkeeper, and perhaps other infrastructure. Providing all of that would require using an installer instead of drag-and-drop, and would anyway duplicate functionality already provided by OSX. A more profitable approach would be to write a Docbook->Apple Help XSLT stylesheet; then the menus could be changed to just launch Apple help.

So apart from the fact that I won't be getting context sensitive help, I might just as well stick with the pdfs, I suppose.  I guess the documentation package is intended for linux and possibly Windows.

> If you want to learn more about building Gtk+ applications on OSX, visit http://gtk-osx.sourceforge.net. Note that it's not a user-friendly undertaking. Substantial programming experience is required to be assured of success.

Hm.  Hacking a shell script is one thing, but I wouldn't call myself a substantially experienced programmer, so I'll pass.

Thanks again for your input.

//J