Getting started with a budget

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Mon Jan 11 17:10:54 EST 2010

Embarrassing for me to have to be asking this. I thought it would be
dead simple but apparently not.

I want to create a budget. I understand about setting the periods,
specifying which accounts (if I can get that far), and that GnuCash is
supposed to be able to produce an "estimate" budget based upon
transactions for the past period (and I would then edit as desired).

But how, pray tell, do I associate a particular set of books with the
budget? I thought it was going to be similar to when I ask GnuCash to
"open" books and I get presented with directories I have previously said
contain books and I can select a file (which is a set of books) to be
the one to be opened. But when I try to "open budget" that's not the
sort of thing  that happens at all. It doesn't ask me "what" do I want
to open. I can't see how the "estimate" part could possibly work if
GnuCash doesn't know which set of books to associate.

I am missing something, right?

Michael

--
There is no possibility of social justice on a dead planet except the equality of the grave.