Getting started with a budget

Forest Bond forest at alittletooquiet.net
Mon Jan 11 17:25:28 EST 2010

Hi,

On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 05:10:54PM -0500, Mike or Penny Novack wrote:
> Embarrassing for me to have to be asking this. I thought it would be
> dead simple but apparently not.
>
> I want to create a budget. I understand about setting the periods,
> specifying which accounts (if I can get that far), and that GnuCash is
> supposed to be able to produce an "estimate" budget based upon
> transactions for the past period (and I would then edit as desired).
>
> But how, pray tell, do I associate a particular set of books with the
> budget? I thought it was going to be similar to when I ask GnuCash to
> "open" books and I get presented with directories I have previously said
> contain books and I can select a file (which is a set of books) to be
> the one to be opened. But when I try to "open budget" that's not the
> sort of thing  that happens at all. It doesn't ask me "what" do I want
> to open. I can't see how the "estimate" part could possibly work if
> GnuCash doesn't know which set of books to associate.
>
> I am missing something, right?

The budget is saved in the same data file as the books, so it already
associated.  I think the "Open Budget" wording is confusing.  Maybe that's the
problem?

The budgeting feature has a wide variety of quirks needing attention.  It should
be considered an experimental feature, although there's nothing in the UI to
indicate that.  Be prepared to play around a lot.

-Forest
--
Forest Bond
http://www.alittletooquiet.net