Getting started with a budget

Forest Bond forest at alittletooquiet.net
Mon Jan 11 17:50:56 EST 2010

Hi,

On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 05:40:20PM -0500, Mike or Penny Novack wrote:

>>> I am missing something, right?
>>>

>> The budget is saved in the same data file as the books, so it already
>> associated.  I think the "Open Budget" wording is confusing.  Maybe that's the
>> problem?
>>
>> The budgeting feature has a wide variety of quirks needing attention.  It should
>> be considered an experimental feature, although there's nothing in the UI to
>> indicate that.  Be prepared to play around a lot.
>>

> Yes? Saved in the same file as the books? Perhaps misunderstanding my
> problem?

Sorry, I guess I'm missing something myself.  I assumed when you said "books"
you meant the accounts and transactions stored in a particular GnuCash data
file.  Maybe there is some other feature that I don't know anything about.

I only have a single GnuCash data file that I keep my personal financial data
in.  I open that file and then I select "Open Budget" to open a budget
associated with those accounts.

I.e. you need to have your data file already opened like normal *before* you
select "Open Budget".  Maybe that is where the problem is.

Hope that is helpful.

Thanks,
Forest
--