Getting started with a budget

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Mon Jan 11 17:52:46 EST 2010

On Monday 11 January 2010 22:40:20 Mike or Penny Novack wrote:
> >>I am missing something, right?
> >
> >The budget is saved in the same data file as the books, so it already
> >associated.  I think the "Open Budget" wording is confusing.  Maybe that's
> > the problem?
> >
> >The budgeting feature has a wide variety of quirks needing attention.  It
> > should be considered an experimental feature, although there's nothing in
> > the UI to indicate that.  Be prepared to play around a lot.
> >
> >-Forest
>
> Yes? Saved in the same file as the books? Perhaps misunderstanding my
> problem?
>
> HOW do I select that "same file"? How do I choose WHICH of the many
> "books" files (possibly in many different directories). When I say that
> I want to "open" (a set of books) I get to choose WHICH books I meant to
> open (the books for which organization, for example).
>
> Is this perhaps that I don't have ANY "books" files in the default
> directory (and the selection opportunity that "open books" provides
> hasn't yet been provided for "budget")
>
> Michael

Hi Michael,

I haven't played extensively with the budgetting stuff, but AFAIK one Data
file (set of books) can have several budgets within it.  Those budgets aren't
shared between data files.

The "File -> Open budget" menu item on my personal file gives me a dialogue
box with a choice of budgets, but in another data file where I have not set
up any budgets, File -> Open Budget and File -> New Budget seem to be
equivalent in that they both open a blank budget tab, and don't appear to
know about my personal budgets.

HTH,
Maf.