Getting started with a budget

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Tue Jan 12 07:21:05 EST 2010

On Tuesday 12 January 2010 01:20:36 Mike Leone wrote:
> Mike or Penny Novack had this to say:
> >>
> >> The budget is saved in the same data file as the books, so it already
> >> associated.  I think the "Open Budget" wording is confusing.  Maybe
> >> that's the
> >> problem?
> >>
> >> The budgeting feature has a wide variety of quirks needing attention.
> >> It should
> >> be considered an experimental feature, although there's nothing in the
> >> UI to
> >> indicate that.  Be prepared to play around a lot.
> >>
> >> -Forest
> >
> > Yes? Saved in the same file as the books? Perhaps misunderstanding my
> > problem?
>
> 1 set of "books" = 1 data file. They mean the same thing; it's just a
> different way of expressing it.
>
> So you can have many reports and/or many budgets, all within one set of
> books (meaning all within your 1 data file).

Hi,

Just for the sake of clarity, custom reports are NOT stored in the data file,
and they are available across all "sets of books" or data files.

The "open reports" information, whilst unique to each data file, is also not
actually stored in the data file.

IIRC these bits of information live somewhere in the ~/.gnucash directory (at
least, for 2.2x versions)

Maf.

> So when you open a data file, you are opening that particular set of
> books. You can have multiple sets of books - one for personal, one for
> the business, etc. Each set of books will be a single data file.
>
> That help any?

Maf. King
PGP Key fingerprint = 8D68 A91F 733B 2C1F 43B7  2B7C E591 E8E1 0DE7 C542