Unable to Save Preferences

Justin Jaynes justinjaynes at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 00:47:35 EST 2010

I recently installed GnuCash on my own Windows Vista PC, version
2.2.9, the prebuilt executable installer.

It works great.

But I had my parents install the same version on their Vista PC and
something is wrong.

When you first run GnuCash, you get the Hints Popup and a popup to
help you get started.  But after unchecking Hints and after setting up
a file, when they load GnuCash again the next time, it shows the hints
and starts trying to help you for the first time again.  Also, none of
the preferences can be saved.

Even if you tell it to automatically save during your session, or
always, it keeps asking every five minutes.

This seems to be the only thing wrong with the installation.

Has anyone else had this problem, and does anyone know a solution?

Justin Jaynes