Unable to Save Preferences

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Fri Jan 15 08:57:17 EST 2010

>But I had my parents install the same version on their Vista PC and
>something is wrong.
>
>When you first run GnuCash, you get the Hints Popup and a popup to
>help you get started.  But after unchecking Hints and after setting up
>a file, when they load GnuCash again the next time, it shows the hints
>and starts trying to help you for the first time again.  Also, none of
>the preferences can be saved.
>
>Even if you tell it to automatically save during your session, or
>always, it keeps asking every five minutes.
>
>This seems to be the only thing wrong with the installation.
>
>Has anyone else had this problem, and does anyone know a solution?
>
>Justin Jaynes

I'm running MS XP Pro, not VISTA but have always had this problem too
--- in my case I do know what is causing it and how might be fixed (if I
chose to go that route). Since I suspect the same problem could exist
with VISTA here's what to check ......

What is the log in ID your parents use when they sign on to the
computer? MS allows characters in log in IDs that aren't considered
legal characters by one of the underlying utilities (developed for the
'nix family operating systems) that GnuCash is taking advantage of under
the hood. The ID string is used when constructing a file path in which
to save the data (like tat you have turned off the hints, made
preference changes, etc.) and the character(s) in question wouldn't be
legal in a 'nix file path.

You can easily test this for your parents. On their computer create an
account with a simple log in ID name. See if GnuCash works properly
there. If this is NOT the problem (if testing with a simple name ID
doesn't make the problem disappear) get back to us.

If that fixes the problem all you can tell your parents is that they
COULD use a different log in ID (but that's a nuisance to move existing
data). We're not going to have much luck complaining to the GnuCash team
as they don't have control of this underlying utility.

Michael