Share incentive plan

FireFly fireflys_98 at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 15 10:56:40 EST 2010

--- On Thu, 1/14/10, Rob Cussons <robcussons at googlemail.com> wrote:
> From: Rob Cussons <robcussons at googlemail.com>
>
> part of my gross paycheck goes into buying shares through a
> share incentive
> plan, how would I go about tracking this each month?

Nominally I'd say yes, easy.

The way I'd handle (and do, just mine is a 401k, not an incentive plan) you have an asset account for the amount of your pay that's used to buy shares, every pay check transfer that amount from your gross pay (income) into the asset account, you then need another account that is setup for shares, and every time shares get brought using that money you transfer the appropriate funds to buy shares and set the number of shares purchased and the cost. I can try to provide a simple example setup if need be.

> Secondary question: is there a way to track share values
> quickly and easily
> in gnucash?

Yes, Price Editor, you need to have Finance::Quote installed, but once you have that it's normally simply a matter of putting in the stock symbol and then going into "get quotes" in price editor.

If the stock isn't traded publicly, then you would have to enter manual prices for it as and when you get them.

- James Duerr

E-mail: FireFlys_98 at yahoo.com
Discover a lost art - play Marbles. May 2004
www.marillion.com