Confused about interaction between A/R and Income with Reports

Roland Roberts roland at astrofoto.org
Sat Jan 16 19:08:24 EST 2010

On 01/16/2010 12:01 PM, Derek Atkins wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Roland Roberts<roland at astrofoto.org>  writes:
>
>> I'm trying to prepare an income/expense reports and find that my A/P
>> and A/R show up in the Income and Expense accounts.  On the one hand,
>> this makes sense.  On the other hand, it's not what I want as it shows
>> income that has not actually been received as if it had.
>>
>> And yes, I've selected the default set of accounts so that Assets,
>> Equity, and Liabilities are not selected.
>>
>> This is with GnuCash 2.2.9.
>>
>> Is there any way to get a report that shows only actual income and
>> expense, not unrealized income and expense?
>>
> Which report(s), exactly, are you using?  And how are you configuring them?

The report is Reports->Income & Expense->Income Statement, set to the
default set of accounts, but with the time period changed to match my
reporting period.  The default set of accounts appears to include all
income and expense accounts, but no asset or equity accounts.  My A/R is
an asset account and it is not selected.

However, since every item has two sides, the other side is an ordinary
income account and the transaction gets counted.  Similarly for the A/P
account; it is not selected, but the ordinary expense account is.

I don't see any way around this since I want these to show up on one
report (Balance Sheet), but not on the Income Report.  I think I just
have to create and print the Balance Sheet, unpost them, then create the
Income Report.

roland

--
		       PGP Key ID: 66 BC 3B CD