Confused about interaction between A/R and Income with Reports

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon Jan 18 11:26:41 EST 2010

Roland Roberts <roland at astrofoto.org> writes:

> On 01/16/2010 12:01 PM, Derek Atkins wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Roland Roberts<roland at astrofoto.org>  writes:
>>
>>> I'm trying to prepare an income/expense reports and find that my A/P
>>> and A/R show up in the Income and Expense accounts.  On the one hand,
>>> this makes sense.  On the other hand, it's not what I want as it shows
>>> income that has not actually been received as if it had.
>>>
>>> And yes, I've selected the default set of accounts so that Assets,
>>> Equity, and Liabilities are not selected.
>>>
>>> This is with GnuCash 2.2.9.
>>>
>>> Is there any way to get a report that shows only actual income and
>>> expense, not unrealized income and expense?
>>>
>> Which report(s), exactly, are you using?  And how are you configuring them?
>>

> The report is Reports->Income & Expense->Income Statement, set to the
> default set of accounts, but with the time period changed to match my
> reporting period.  The default set of accounts appears to include all
> income and expense accounts, but no asset or equity accounts.  My A/R
> is an asset account and it is not selected.
>
> However, since every item has two sides, the other side is an ordinary
> income account and the transaction gets counted.  Similarly for the
> A/P account; it is not selected, but the ordinary expense account is.
>
> I don't see any way around this since I want these to show up on one
> report (Balance Sheet), but not on the Income Report.  I think I just
> have to create and print the Balance Sheet, unpost them, then create
> the Income Report.

Yes, search bugzilla for "Accrual" and "Cash"

What you need to do is "manually" remove outstanding A/R from Income
(and outstanding A/P from expense).  GnuCash does not automatically do
this for you at this time (see the bug).