Using GnuCash for a web-based business?

Omari Stephens xsdg at xsdg.org
Thu Jan 21 17:11:23 EST 2010

Hi, all

I run a web-based photography business and am hoping to use GnuCash to
keep track of things.  Note that I've only just started figuring this
out, so I may ask questions that might have been answered by having used
the program for longer.  That said, here are some problems I've bumped
into, and some questions I have:

  - Why does gnucash force me to enter a payment/billing address when I
set up a vendor/customer?  I get prints done at foo.com, let's say, and
I have no idea where foo.com is, or what it's address might be.  I also
have customers whom I don't interact with, personally; I have no way of
knowing their address.

What I would like to do is just set "Company Name" to "foo.com" or "John
Q. Customer" and be done with it.

  - In the same vein, in this day and age, it would seem natural to have
an explicit "URL" entry in the Vendor information.  Many companies have
different email addresses to contact, and will have a single "Contacts"
webpage that lists the addresses.  Furthermore, if an email address
doesn't seem to be working (suppose, the representative left the
company, or is on leave), it's nice to have a canonical location to
attempt to find more-up-to-date information.

  - In many cases, the details of a sale will be handled on my behalf by
one of my vendors — I only find out after the sale has been completed.
Even so, I would like to keep track of customers on my own, in case (for
instance) a customer buys a print online and another print in person.

Since, in most cases, I will be paid up front, before the customer
receives their print, is there a shortcut to the whole Invoice/Payment
flow that would allow me to bypass most of the "this is an interactive
process" machinery?  Note that there are still some sales where I
_would_ need to use the Invoice/Payment flow, so it would still need to
be available somehow.

I'll undoubtedly run into more questions as I go, but that's it for now.
  TIA :o)

--xsdg
http://doppler-effect.net/