Version compatibility: Debian vs Ubuntu

Russell Gadd russ.mail.lists at googlemail.com
Wed Jan 27 05:34:32 EST 2010

I am currently running Gnucash within Linux (Debian Lenny) and would like to
try switching to using Ubuntu Linux. However due to Debian's conservative
release policy the Gnucash version in Debian Lenny is 2.2.6 whereas the one
in Ubuntu is 2.2.9. I can happily switch to Ubuntu and use that for a trial
period but I am concerned that if I decide to revert to using Debian Lenny I
will need to go back to version 2.2.6 with a set of accounts modified with
version 2.2.9.

Looking at Gnucash's list of changes on the website, I can't find anything
between these 2 versions which implies that the file format has changed but
I would appreciate someone confirming that there will be no issues going
back to 2.2.6.

Gnucash is a must-have application for me and I can't afford to take the
risk of not being able to use my accounts file.

Russell