Equity-Opening Balance

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 27 15:31:55 EST 2010

I found a couple of definitions that follow Jeff's description:

Equity. In the broadest sense, equity gives you ownership. If you own stock, you have equity in, or own a portion -- however small -- of the company that issued the stock.

Having equity is the opposite of owning a bond or commercial paper, which is a debt the company must repay to you.

Equity also refers to the difference between an asset's current market value -- the amount it could be sold for -- and any debt or claim against it. For example, if you own a home currently valued at $300,000 but still owe $200,000 on your mortgage, your equity in the home is $100,000.

The same is true if you own stock in a margin account. The stock may be worth $50,000 in the marketplace, but if you have a loan balance of $20,000 in your margin account because you financed the purchase, your equity in the stock is $30,000.

For what it's worth, the OP might want to examine Gnucash's own help and concepts documentation, available at gnucash.org.

And then, there's us!

David