Equity-Opening Balance

Jeff Kletsky gnucash at allycomm.com
Wed Jan 27 10:58:18 EST 2010

Accounting is a pretty bizarre thing at least until you figure out why
it "works."

The basic rule is "everything comes from somewhere and goes to
somewhere" -- this means that you can (or your computer can) sum up two
sets of numbers and, if they match, the "books balance" -- if not, you
made a mistake somewhere.

There are a few big categories:

Income -- Money you "make" -- things that, for some reason, add to your
"big pile of money" (BPOM)
Expenses -- Money you "spend" -- things that take away from your BPOM

Liabilities -- Money you "owe" -- things that will eventually take away
from your BPOM
Assets -- Money you are "owed" -- things that eventually should/could
add to your BPOM

Equity -- ok, this is the funny one

Think about Equity as how much you have invested, or think of it in the
personal accounting world as how much you were worth at the end of the
year (or just before you opened your current books). For more practical
approach, Equity is the bucket you put your opening balances into so
that id doesn't mess up looking at the more tangible ideas of
( income - expenses ) + ( assets - liabilities )

What else goes in Equity? For a personal set of accounts, often not much
else. So yes, it is something of an arcane "standard accounting
practice" that the account structure for personal use is "Equity:Opening
Balances" rather than just calling it "Opening Balances"

For businesses, it is a lot more complicated with investors and
shareholders and needing to produce periodic reports. You may hear of
"closing the books" for a business -- what they basically do is "roll
up" many of the accounts into Equity accounts so that the new period has
"zero balances" starting off in the basic accounts -- In a business you
often want your account balance to represent "how much have I sold this
year" as opposed to "how much have I sold since I started the company"