Equity-Opening Balance

Collier-Sanuki Yoko ymcolliersanuki at alaska.edu
Wed Jan 27 10:01:31 EST 2010

I'm a new user.  I've searched and read various GnuCash information
but cannot find an answer to my simple question:

	GnuCash creates as a default "Equity" place holder and "Opening
Balance" under it.
	But what else goes under "Equity"?  Why not just make "Opening
Balance" top-level account?

Here is an example of help, which doesn't help me :{

> http://linuxbasement.com/content/intro-gnucash
> Types of Accounts
> Now would be a good time to take a break from the tutorial and talk
> about the different types of accounts that are in Gnucash and how
> transactions work. You can see the five big categories on the main
> screen,
> 	• Assets are things you have that add to you net worth. If you
> click the drop down arrows you will see this is where you bank
> accounts are.
> 	• I don't really understand equity. I think it's like assets, but
> it can't be spent. The money for our opening balances was taken from
> here.
> 	• I don't think I need to explain expenses
> 	• Income is where you get money from, such as salary
> 	• Liabilities is money you owe, like the credit card.

Any help?