Reimbursed expenses how to invoice, account for, etc

trythis grahamlane at gmail.com
Thu Jan 28 23:33:58 EST 2010

Hi,
I do odd jobs occasionally as a handyman. I also build things from steel.
What can I do to properly invoice people when they reimburse me for
materials I buy for their job?
I have read that I could make the materials, lets say, a light switch an
asset, then bill them for the asset.
I charge any more than the original price. I pay tax at the store, the
customer doesn't pay sales tax to me.
I don't have a tax ID number, and I dont want one. Too much paperwork.

Can I just call the light switch an expense  or do I really have to make the
$0.47 light switch an asset then sell the asset?

Couldn't I just invoice as an item call the light switch Expense:Job
Materials
and when I sell it to the customer call it Income: Job Materials

Or does this completely break the accounting system down?

My customers want to see that they are buying materials at cost whether its
a light switch, or a piece of steel.
Thanks