Reimbursed expenses how to invoice, account for, etc

Michael DeBusk michael at nlphilia.com
Sat Jan 30 03:42:52 EST 2010

On 01/29/2010 01:30 PM, trythis wrote:

> I am still struggling with this. I need to be able to apply the
> expenses of all parts of a job, sanding belts, welding expendables,
> gloves, switches, whatever to an invoice with my labor costs.

I somehow missed the fact that you were using the business features. I
don't use them, so I have no experience.

Your reference to Accounts Payable confused me. Accounts Payable is for
money you owe, not money payable to you, so there should not be an
"Assets:Accounts Payable:ClientX" account at all.

> Instead, I can just put "Materials Purchased" on the invoice and
> give ClientA a separate list with copies of receipts and that is
> fine, works great! Lets say I do that; where do I put the items I
> purchase in Gnucash?

If you wanted to give all the materials to the client after the job is
done (whether you used them or not), or keep them for your own use and
have them pay you for them anyway, or return them to the store, I'd just
call them expenses for which they reimburse you.

If you decide that you don't want them to reimburse you for it if you
don't use it on their job AND you want to keep it, you need to call it
an asset (though you don't have to break it down by client, because it's
yours until they pay you for it) and record the sale as income (which is
offset by the expense of having bought it). GnuCash doesn't do
inventory, though, so you'll want to keep a database of some sort, even
if it's a notebook.

--
()  ascii ribbon campaign     * against html e-mail
/\  www.asciiribbon.org       * against proprietary attachments