Correcting Reimbursed expenses questions

trythis grahamlane at gmail.com
Sat Jan 30 14:13:52 EST 2010

OOPs, All my Accounts Payables should have been Accounts Receivables!
Let me rephrase the question:

It seems I can apply purchases I make and plan to get reimbursed for in
Asset:Accounts Receivable:ClientA and it shows up in ClientA 's accounts
Receivable.
If I do this, it seems I end up doubling the accounts receivable when I add
the items to an invoice. So that doesnt work unless there is a way to create
an invoice of all or partial unpaid accounts receivable. (<<that seems like
a great feature!) Is there a way to apply existing accounts receivable to
invoices?

No? Thats OK.

Instead, I can just put "Materials Purchased" on the invoice and give
ClientA a separate list with copies of receipts and that is fine, works
great! Lets say I do that; where do I put the items I purchase in Gnucash?

I know there is no inventory system, but I need to keep track of the items I
expect to get paid for..Now that I think of it; I am really just loaning the
client the money for the materials to begin with.

So would this work?:

In the bank account Asset:Current:BigBankChecking that shows the
purchase(s), could I make the account read Asset:Job Materials:ClientA ?
Then on the invoice under Income Account apply the portion billed for the
materials back to the Asset:Job Materials:ClientA ?
This sets it up so that if I don't actually end up selling the item over to
ClientA, it is properly in my Assets and I can sell it to someone else, or I
can return the item to the store and apply the refunded amount to Asset:Job
Materials:ClientA and have the same net effect. If I need to transfer the
item to Asset:Job Materials:ClientB that can be done and sell it to ClientB.

Sorry, none of that should have been in payable.  The way I intended it was
to keep it all in assets and I think that keeping it as Asset:Job
Materials:ClientX (or no client at all) should work if I retun it to the
store, sell it at cost, or for a profit.

It seems the same as if I were loaning money at a profit or as a no interest
loan and wouldn't' make any difference if an item is attached to it or not.

Does that sound better?

Any objections?