cannot open my (relatively) old gnucash file.

Emanuele Paolini emanuele.paolini at unifi.it
Sat Jan 30 05:52:45 EST 2010

First of all thank you for your prompt response.

> Hi,
>
> Emanuele Paolini <emanuele.paolini at unifi.it> writes:
>
>> I'm a little bit disappointed that I can no more read my gcash data file.
>> I'm using version 2.2.9 on Ubuntu. When I try to load my file I get
>>  the error:
>> "Si ? verificato un errore processando il file "[...]/spese.gcash" (an
>> error occurred while processing the file...)
>
> What changed between the last time you were able to open the file and now?

I spend a lot of time to try to exactly reconstruct what happened,
because I don't remember very well. For sure the first time I had this
problem was when I changed my computer and passed from Debian to
Ubuntu. I restarted my old computer and tried to load the file (which
is the same) but again unsuccesfully! The old version of gnucash is
2.0.5. On the old computer I have the same files as in the new one.

What I remember is that some months ago I believed to have fixed the
problem. I found somewhere on internet that the problem was maybe
related to some fields in my accounts which were referring to
unexistent objects. I cannot remember exactly and cannot find again
such information! I remember I was able to remove such fields (they
were properties of an XML object) and to succesfully load the file.
Now I am not sure if the file I'm trying to open is the "fixed" one or
the old one. As you can see, I'm not really sure of what I did with
these file. I have some backups copies of my files but they are very
old.

What I would really appreciate would be a more specific error message
from the application... Do you know if this can be obtained some way?

Otherwise is it possible to reduce the data file progressively and
maybe find the offending data by a bisection method?

Again, any suggestion is appreciated.

E.