How to make a "custom" expense report [was Re: Report customization nightmare]

Mike Leone turgon at mike-leone.com
Fri Jul 2 09:32:23 EDT 2010

On 7/2/2010 2:48 AM, Manfred Usselmann had this to say:

> No. But suggestions for improvement is something different than saying
> it shouldn't be like that in the first place and it would have been
> simple to design it differently (how do you know if you don't have the
> technical skills as you say?).

I used to program somewhat, making applications using database systems
way back in the day (mid-80s to mid-90s). So while I haven't done it in
a long time, I remember what it was like designing input screens,
reports, and workflows. And I remember when the users used to tell me
that I shouldn't have designed some report in the way that I did,
because it didn't have everything they needed, or wasn't presented in
the order that made the most sense for their job function, or whatever.
And most times, they were right .. because they were the ones who had to
use it, and who needed to get the information out of the system, in the
way that they needed to get it, to perform their duties. That was in the
financial industry, and not accounting, but the general principle
applies, I think.

These days I'm a network administrator, so the only programming I do is
Windows scripting and the like.

> To me it sounded a little bit like you
> think that the developers were stupid and you are able to do it better.
> If I misunderstood you, I apologize.

You did misunderstand me, but that was probably more my fault than
yours. No apology necessary (from you; I should apologize to you, for
snapping back like that).

>>> Everybody can contribute in case your are not
>>> aware and improvements are definitely welcome. I'm sure your are
>>> able to fix 'something this simple' promptly.
>>
>> I am contributing in my way. I am expressing an end-user's experience
>> with an aspect of the program. I am pointing out where it could be
>> better. I am offering examples of how I think it could be easier,
>> better, and more suited to what I believe the average end user would
>> need. I am providing feedback. If you don't find that of value ..
>> then you don't.
>
> I do agree with what you write here. Feedback is of course a useful way
> of contributing and of value. It may just be that implementing your
> suggestions is not as simple as you seem to think. Having a good
> workaround in the meantime is useful as well I believe.

True. And partially it was my problem (not using all the report options
properly). And I was using the workaround (i.e., ignoring the parts I
didn't want) for a year or more, before joining the "report
customization" thread.

Have a good day.