How to make a "custom" expense report [was Re: Report customization nightmare]

Tim Uckun timuckun at gmail.com
Fri Jul 2 22:05:12 EDT 2010

> And expecting that any random end user has the technical skills (or
> inclination) to provide technical programming patches, that would need to be
> vetted and tested, is extremely unrealistic, BTW. If they don't, then what?
> They shouldn't "complain"? And "waste" other's time? They should just meekly
> and silently stay in the background, never offering observations or
> suggestions?

Actually I don't think people should complain. I mean why complain
about a gift somebody gave you? The developers or Gnu Cash have given
away something for nothing.  Why would you want to annoy them by
complaining?

I think it's OK to ask for features, I think it's OK to report your
negative experiences but to complain, whine, berate the project,
berate the developers, to argue needlessly is unseemly and rude.  What
good is complaining going to get you anyway? Do you really think
somebody is going to help you if you throw a fit? Do you really think
people are going to be friendly to you after you tell them how they
are wrong, how they should drop whatever they are doing and solve your
problem for free?

It's illogical to expect people to solve your problems for free. The
fact that people do it is awesome and truly gives me hope for the
future of mankind but I don't expect it, I don't demand it, I don't
complain when they don't do it. The developers of gnu cash or any
other open source project don't owe you, me or anybody else anything.

If you (not you specifically,  humanity in general) continue to whine,
moan, scream, complain and generally make a pest out of yourselves
they might decide it's just not worth the bother to continue with the
project and we would all lose. So please hold your tongue. Be polite,
civil and most of all constructive.  Everybody on this mailing list
depends on their good will, we should all be grateful.  If you don't
like it that's fine. Nobody is forcing you to use  it. There are lots
of other products and projects you can use.

I remember one time the GIMP had a logo contest. One guy submitted a
logo that said "The GIMP, it's free so quit your bitching", I agree
with that statement. When I was in the military they were fond of
saying "lead, follow, or get out of the way".  That too.

> I am contributing in my way. I am expressing an end-user's experience with
> an aspect of the program. I am pointing out where it could be better. I am
> offering examples of how I think it could be easier, better, and more suited
> to what I believe the average end user would need. I am providing feedback.
> If you don't find that of value .. then you don't.

Maybe it's the tone you employ. A lot can get lost when you try to
express yourself over a quick email. This has happened to all of us.
Sometimes we come off as sarcastic, strident, irritated etc even
though we don't feel that way when we write the post. I find that
saving the draft and coming back to it an hour later helps a lot.  I
hope you don't take that as being condescending :)