Re: GnuCash won't open after transferring data files from one box to another (3)

Derrick Hudson dman at dman13.dyndns.org
Mon Jul 5 13:40:33 EDT 2010

Ken,

In another message you stated that you now get a Segmentation Fault.  That means the program is trying to access memory that doesn't exist (or is otherwise inaccessible by the program).  One common cause is incompatible shared libraries.

That aligns well with the information quoted below.  The easiest way to try and downgrade glib is to look in /var/cache/apt/archives and see if you still have the older package on your computer.  If so install it with 'dpkg -I glib[...].deb'.  If not, and if it isn't available in any of your package mirrors, you'll need to find a place to download it again.

Usually when libraries have incompatible updates the package maintainer will put that in the package as a conflict to prevent this situation.  Note that it may not be easy to downgrade your glib because you may have many other packages that you updated and require the newer glib.

-Derrick