restarting

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 7 16:06:44 EDT 2010

First point: I am definitely NOT an accountant!!!

That said, for this sort of thing, I use multiple accounts.

I use one asset account to receive the cash from your paycheck (Assets:MyShareScheme)
I have a second account for the shares (I have mine as a subaccount of the cash account, e.g. Assets:MyShareScheme:TheShares)
I have a third account for the matching. I believe this is supposed to be recorded as Income (Income:MyCompanyMatch).

The paycheck transaction transfers funds from Income:MyIncome to the parent account. The shares get purchased with the money in the parent account (leaving the parent at 0). The matching part gets handled in a similar way, but as a separate set of transactions. [It may be possible to handle these as one complex transaction, but my feeble brain can only handle it as two]

This works nicely for me; I can tell at a glance whether I am up to date (since the parent account should be 0).

HTH,
David