How do you pronounce Gnu-Cash?

Colin Law clanlaw at googlemail.com
Fri Jul 9 07:26:05 EDT 2010

On 9 July 2010 12:12, Aleksandr <peace at aleksandrsolzhenitsyn.net> wrote:

> On 10-07-09 07:10 AM, Colin Law wrote:
>>
>> On 9 July 2010 11:55, Aleksandr<peace at aleksandrsolzhenitsyn.net>  wrote:
>>>
>>>  How is Gnu-Cash pronounced?
>>>
>>> Is it like New Cash?
>>
>> This is my major complaint about GnuCash (which I pronounce with a
>> hard G).  The name does not trip off the tongue well.  I used to use
>> Quicken and could say to my wife "Have you done the Quickening?".
>> "Have you done the GnuCashing?" just does not work, with or without a
>> hard G.  I consider this to be a major issue and cannot believe that
>> the developers have not done something about it.  Perhaps I should
>> fork the development repository so I can have a version with a better
>> name.
>>
>> Colin L
>
> Well, how is it pronounced?

I can only tell you that I pronounce it, as I said above, with a hard
g, so g-new cash.  Looking at wikipedia it indicates that Gnu is
pronounced this way so possibly that is the 'correct' way for GnuCash
(GNU is a recursive algorithm for "GNU's not Unix").  As with all Open
software you are free to do anything you like with it.  I do not know
whether it is explicitly mentioned in the License but I am sure this
implicitly includes pronouncing the name however you like,
particularly in the privacy of your own home.

Colin