File Name Length .xac & .log

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Mon Jul 19 11:09:09 EDT 2010

On Tuesday 13 July 2010 18:02:55 glenn bergmann wrote:
> Hi, Once a week I receive an updated .xac file from my daughter with the
> latest financial information.  The file names have been getting longer and
> longer.  The current file has 9 .xac's in its file name.  I just tried to
> copy it to a backup disc and was advised the file name is too long.
>
> How do I reduce the length of this file name and still retain the complete
> file information?  Do I have something set incorrectly in Preferences?
>
> Thanks for any guidance you can provide.  Glenn Bergmann

Hi,

Sounds to me that you and your daughter have been sending each other backup
files for some time.

Each time that you hit "save" in GC, a backup file is created which is the
datafile *before* the most recent edits.  That file uses the original
basename, and appends <timestamp.xac> to it.  So next time, if one opens that
backup file, an auto-backup of original.timestamp1.xac.timestamp2.xac is
created - and so on.

Just do a Save As... and use the original basefile name and take care to
always work from that "master" file.

HTH,
Maf.