Pls help model this situation

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Tue Jul 20 09:52:31 EDT 2010

On Tuesday 20 July 2010 14:05:40 jhw wrote:
> Hi Jim, thanks a lot for your quick response.  It's probably because I
> can't get my head round basic accountancy principles, but I still can't
> seem to grok this.

Hi,

I think you maybe need to add some Asset and Liability accounts here (both to
GC and your thought process).

If he owes you money, it is actually an asset of yours.  Likewise, if you owe
money then it is your liability.

> Does this mean that when I pay the farrier, I don't enter a transaction
> from Checking to Expenses:Horse but instead transfer the amount to A/R?
> What happens then if he doesn't pay for that particular bill - do I
> transfer from A/R to Expenses:Horse?

Yes, that is how I would do it.  It isn't an expense (to you).
How would it be if you had physically loaned him a $10 bill to buy something
with?  You would record that he owed you money, not that you had bought
something.

> What about owing child support?

Say the he is supposed to pay you $100 on the 1st of the month, but doesn't.
that money is then owed to you, so should appear as  a transfer from something
like
Income:ChildSupport to Assets:OwedbyHim.
when the money actually arrives, transfer from the Asset account to Checking

>- apart from the fact that Income is then shown as a
> total of $2720, because gnucash sums the absolute values for some reason.

Have you got the account type set correctly, because that sounds like odd
behaviour!

HTH,
Maf.

--
Maf. King
PGP Key fingerprint = 8D68 A91F 733B 2C1F 43B7  2B7C E591 E8E1 0DE7 C542