irritation with display of register

John P. New jnew at hazelden.ca
Thu Jul 22 14:04:38 EDT 2010

On Friday, July 09, 2010 05:46:19 pm Elizabeth Dodd wrote:
> My regular niggle with display (on Linux) is that when opening an account
> register today's date at the bottom left is highlighted *and* copied to the
> clipboard.
> It overwrites whatever I have in the clipboard which i usually intend to
> paste into Gnucash.
>
> So I make an online payment and highlight/copy to clipboard the transaction
> id open gnucash
> open account
> clipboard overwritten
> paste date in wrong place
> delete date
> back to browser to get the transaction id again
> (or when i used klipper, fiddle around with klipper to get the right thing
> pasted)
> paste again
> finish transaction editing.
>
> Does this cause anyone else a problem?

Elizabeth,

I am using 2.2.9 in KDE 4.4.4 and I can confirm that what you are seeing is
the default way that Klipper works.

From the KDE Application>System>Clipboard/Selection Behavior Manual:

"The X Window System uses two separate clipboard buffers: the “selection” and
the “clipboard”. Text is placed in the selection buffer by simply selecting
it, and can be pasted with the middle mouse button. To place text in the
clipboard buffer, select it and press Ctrl-X or Ctrl-C. Text from the
clipboard buffer is pasted using Ctrl-V or by selecting Edit->Paste."

The default behaviour of Klipper is to synchronize both buffers, so that
merely selecting text will copy it to the clipboard. So GnuCash is only
indirectly responsible for your problem, as it highlights the date in a
transaction when an account is open, and then Klipper copies it to the
clipboard.

To change Klipper's behaviour, select the Klipper icon in the system tray and
choose Configure Klipper, and in the General tab, play around with the options
in the "Selection and clipboard" section:

1) Sync the two buffers: "Synchronize contents..." option checked
2) Two separate buffers: "Synchronize contents..." option unchecked
3) Completely ignore the selection buffer: "Ignore selection" option checked

Option 2 or 3 should solve your problem.

Hope that helps.

John