PTO in GnuCash?

Michael DeBusk michael at nlphilia.com
Sun Jul 25 02:59:48 EDT 2010

On 07/24/2010 02:15 PM, Richard Mancusi wrote:

> Again, in both cases, it would be a question of how the HR department
> of each company handles this time.  Paid out if not used  -or-  not.

In my company, PTO is a terminal benefit UNLESS one is terminated for
any of a short list of reasons. If there are any reasons at all why they
could prevent me from having it, I would not consider it an asset.

If it belonged to me no matter what, I'd probably think differently. But
my books are cash-basis, not accrual, so I still feel I can't claim it
as mine until it's actually paid out to me.

If I were to track PTO in GnuCash, I'd have to call PTO an asset. If I
debit Assets:Current Assets:PTO, what account would I credit? It isn't
income (in a set of cash books) until it's paid to me.

Interesting problem.

--
()  ascii ribbon campaign     * against html e-mail
/\  www.asciiribbon.org       * against proprietary attachments