Odd Register Behavior When Trying to Add An Account

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Wed Jul 28 12:52:32 EDT 2010

"David T." <sunfish62 at yahoo.com> writes:

> I have checked my situation in greater detail, and I can confirm that the problem lies with using Tab vs. Enter to leave the field. Specifically, if one types in a new account with the drop down activated, Tab triggers the dialog box, while Enter returns you to the drop down at the last valid node in the hierarchy.
>
> While I understand (given my experience with Gnucash) that there is a fundamental difference between Tab and Enter in the Gnucash realm, I think the distinction here is far too subtle. (For what it's worth, I think the distinction generally is far too subtle)
>
> Should this be filed as a bug report, or is this simply an extension of How Things Are In Gnucash?

Either are appropriate.

> David
>
> P.S.-- I am wondering how the whole Tab/Enter distinction is implemented in the SQL-based version of Gnucash. Will the transaction be committed to the database when Enter is pressed on a split? Will it NOT be committed if the user presses Tab? What kind of extra overhead will get generated when the user has to change the Imbalance split line each time?

There is not difference in the backend for Tab/Enter..  It's all in the
front end.  The only difference you'll see is that SQL does immediate
commit, so you will see more DB transactions with "Enter" as opposed to
"Tab".

-derek