Information for tax returns

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Sat Jul 31 07:44:15 EDT 2010

Hi,

Berni Elbourn <berni at elbournb.fsnet.co.uk> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Gnucash 2.2.9 here. In first year I was able to use the account
> summary to produce the information my accountant needs for the
> return. All good.
>
> Now in third year trying to get information about year two - the
> account summary is no good because it includes numbers for previous
> transactions. I have tried the transaction report, and tax reports but
> the problem there is that some invoices are showing but were not paid
> in that trading year.

This is "Cash" v. "Accrual" accounting.  Whenever you use the Invoice
System you are using Accrual Accounting.  GnuCash does not have a way to
automatically convert this to "Cash" accounting.  You must do this
manually (or have your accountant do it manually).

Basically, you (or your accountant) will reduce your income by the
outstanding receivables, and reduce your expenses by outstanding
Payables.

> Is there some way easy way to bend the account summary report to
> include a start date? This would be perfect.

No, the account summary report is purely about account balances, not
about changes during a period.  If you want changes during a period you
should use the P&L (aka Income Statement) report.

> Or is there some way to remove the invoiced but not paid in year
> entries from the other reports?

Nope.