Setting up business accounts

John Layman john.layman at laymanandlayman.com
Thu Jun 3 11:05:53 EDT 2010

Just set your business accounts up in a second file.  I have separate
'Business' and 'Personal' GNUCash files, and switching between them has
proven to be no problem.  I use equity accounts in both files for recording
draws and contributed capital, and every such transaction in one file has a
corresponding transaction in the other.  For example, a business meal in a
restaurant that doesn't accept the business American Express card becomes,
not an expense, but a capital contribution from the personal credit card
used.  The expense is the second side of the capital contribution
transaction in the business file.