Mac upgrade, "There was an error parsing the file ..."

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon Jun 14 12:09:59 EDT 2010

David Dannemiller <DPDannemiller at earthlink.net> writes:

>> On Jun 12, 2010, at 12:47 PM, M Prindle wrote:
>>
>> With the older versions GC I've also heard that you need to delete the scheduled tasks from the old version and then open it in the new version.
>>
>> Mike
>
> I ran across indications of this is old posts, but also found a post in the gnucash-announce list dated 7/15/2007, emphasis mine:
>
> *Data file notice*: In version 2.1.2 the format for scheduled
>       transactions in the data file was changed. Files using the old
>       format will be read without problems by this new version, but the
>       new version of GnuCash only writes the new format. The new file
>       format cannot be loaded by older versions of GnuCash.
>
> So shouldn't GnuCash upgrade the file to the new format?

You're running 1.8, which is really REALLY old.  For some reason 2.2.x
can't directly import from 1.8.x; you need to step through 2.0.x before
going to 2.2.x.

Yes, this is a bug, but there are so few people willing to provide their
1.8.x data file in order to fix the bug.