Obtaining Reports for Prior Years

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Sun Jun 20 23:38:29 EDT 2010

On Jun 20, 2010, at 6:00 PM, Len Morgan wrote:

> I'm new to GNUCash and I'm afraid I've screwed myself.  I just entered all of the transactions for my company from 1/1/2007 to the present in order to create balance sheets and income statements for my attorney (going through a divorce and she wants it ALL!).  What I need to do is print out, for example, a balance sheet for 2007, 2008, and 2009 but while I seem to be able to set the start date, I can't set the end date.  I am a small, single shareholder subchapter S corp and used to have a CPA do my books until he left town in a hurry and hasn't been seen since.
>
> Any ideas on how to get out of this bind?  Do I need to make a copy of the entire file for each year and then delete all transactions for any years AFTER the year I'm trying to do the reports for?

A Balance sheet reports the financial condition (assets and liabilities) of an entity on a certain date, so there's only one date in its options. You'll want to pull balance sheets for the last day of each fiscal year. Income statements (older versions of GnuCash call them "Profit and Loss" reports are for a period, and on those you'll find beginning and ending date selections in the Options dialog box. You'll need (or rather, your attorney will need) Income statements for every year as well.

I'm rather surprised, though, that your attorney hasn't told you to go get a new accountant -- a CPA, not a mere bookkeeper -- to prepare the reports. A CPA's testimony will count a whole lot more than yours in court.

Regards,
John Ralls