Report customization nightmare

cognitive.libertarian+ml at gmail.com cognitive.libertarian+ml at gmail.com
Sat Jun 26 03:03:40 EDT 2010

> This part is not really documented. As recommended, I have read the
> FAQ, the wiki, read some Scheme documentations, read source code of
> reports, try to modify one and load it as user report. I have found
> some tricks and advices in this mailing list archive.  But the core
> of the system remains mysterious. I still have to understand how API
> is working. Scheme code is very short. I guess this makes using it
> difficult.
>
> It appears that customizing the report system is quite impossible
> for non scheme coder. May be there is somewhere a comprehensive
> documentation that would help me, but I haven't found it.

I agree with everything you said.. scheme is obscure, and
documentation is absent where it's needed the most.  I went down the
path of studying scheme to manipulate reports, and decided I was crazy
for blowing time on that.

Personally, I gave up, in hopes that some readable/hackable perl code
will appear out in the wild.  There is some perl code out there that
will extract invoice data from a gc file, and generate very
presentable invoices in LaTeX.  The same could be done for reports.

-----
Reply etiquette: Please avoid using Reply-All so that list members do
not receive duplicates, and respect the mail-followup-to header and
reply only to the list.  Thank you.