Accounts payable -- overly cumbersome?

Andrew Sackville-West andrew at swclan.homelinux.org
Mon Jun 28 14:57:33 EDT 2010

On Sat, Jun 26, 2010 at 01:14:27PM -0500, Tommy Kelly wrote:
> I'm new to GnuCash, my previous experience being with, among others,
> Quickbooks. I'm on a Mac running SnowLeopard. GC version is 2.2.9
> I'm trying out GC partly because it's open source, and partly because
> QB on the Mac doesn't have multi-currency support.
>
> However, I'm finding the accounts payable mechanisms fairly
> cumbersome.
[...]
> I guess all of that may be the newbie route and I have yet to discover
> the faster ninja-user method.

in the interim, before other more efficient methods are developed, you
can do the following to speed entry of invoices:

1. set up your various vendors and ensure they have at least one
invoice entered in the current financial period

2 run (and keep open, it's a pretty light-weight report) the Reports
-> Business Reports -> Payable Aging report.

3. in the report, click on the link in the total column for the vendor
of choice. This will run the Vendor Report for that vendor.

4. click on the "Bill" link for any invoice. This will open that bill
in a new tab.

5. do File -> New -> New Invoice (Alt-F, n, i for the keyboard
version)to create a new blank invoice for that vendor. repeated
instances of New Invoice will create new invoices for the vendor.

I use the same report for any vendor access -- paying bills and
such. It's much faster.

hope this helps.