Report customization nightmare

Eric A erpo41 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 29 17:33:47 EDT 2010

I may he wrong, but I think most report requests could be summarized as, "I
want it to work like quickbooks."

On Jun 29, 2010 3:21 PM, "David Eisner" <deisner at gmail.com> wrote:

On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 5:01 PM, Michael Leone wrote:
> That, of course,  presumes you know how to "...
At a certain point, you are going to have to express the logic and
layout of the report in one language or another.  There will always be
the presumption that the report designer knows this language (or set
of languages).

There is a trade-off between expressiveness and simplicity (and
libraries can help), but there's no avoiding the need for some kind of
language.  Even with an SQL-accessible back end, you'll need code to
massage and manipulate the numbers you pull out in all but the
simplest cases.

-David