Importing Only Quicken Category List

Chuck Waggoner chuck.waggoner at gmail.com
Wed Mar 3 14:42:42 EST 2010

For the last 8 years, I have not had a reason to use accounting
software, but my circumstances have changed, and I need to begin
again.  Previously, I was using Quicken but now desire to use
GnuCash.

I am having a problem importing Quicken categories from my previous
Quicken program.  I have--and want--only the categories; no
transactions (which I do not have, and can no longer access).  I
have examined and experimented with the GnuCash sample QIF
files--which contain both categories and transaction information.  I
find that if I remove the transactions from those sample files (to
simulate what I have) NOTHING imports--categories are not converted
to GnuCash accounts.

Am I doing something wrong, or what is the matter?

My categories are fairly complex, coming from a combination which
combines both personal and a sole-proprietorship business.  It would
really be a nightmare to create all those accounts by hand in
GnuCash.

I searched using both the GnuCash user list search engine and
Google, but--unbelievably--can find no one else who has experienced
this problem.

Any ideas?

--Chuck