Wrong balance for period (gnucash 2.2.9.4 on OS X)

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Mon Mar 8 07:32:42 EST 2010

Brendan Simon wrote:

>I am using GnuCash 2.2.9 on OS X (2.2.9.4).
>
>I think this is bug would like confirmation please.  It looks like the
>Balance Period is displaying the wrong result.
>
>In the main accounts window/tab I have enabled the Balance and Balance
>(Period) columns.  I also have Total and Total (Period) enabled.
>
>My accounting period is 1-July-2005 to 30-June-2006 (Australian
>Financial/Fiscal Period).
>
>Account XYZ has a final entry on 12-May-2006 with a final balance of
>$6,718.06 (this is correct).
>
>In the Accounts Summary view, the account XYZ shows :-
>    $6,718.06    Balance
>    $1,931.07    Balance Period
>    $6,718.06    Total
>    $1,931.07    Total Period
>
>This would appear incorrect (at least to me).
>The Balance and Balance Period should show the same amount of $6,718.06
>as the last entry is within the Accounting Period.
>
>Is this a bug ??  or have I misunderstood something, or have I not
>configured something properly ??
>
>Thanks,
>Brendan.

I think a misunderstanding. I don't use the "balance period" column
myself because I do an annual "close the books" operation and so for my
organization the "balance period" and "balance" have the same START
date. This account, it's an "income" or "expense" type account, yes? You
should not expect the balances of those accounts for "just the current
period" and "from the beginning, all periods" to be the same. Not unless
you do a periodic "close the books".

Michael D Novack

--
There is no possibility of social justice on a dead planet except the equality of the grave.