Some UI irritations.

Brendan Simon Brendan at BrendanSimon.com
Mon Mar 8 18:02:40 EST 2010

On 7/03/10 4:40 AM, Colin Scott wrote:

> This is not a complete list, just a few of the things that have bugged me
> during the past 24 hours.
>
> All these comments are based on 2.2.9 under Windows XP, so I don't know
> if they are specific to Windows, or more general.

> 2.  It can be very disconcerting when the transaction you are editing
> simply "disappears".  This can happen if you are entering or editing a
> transaction and change the date, or if you change the accounts so there
> is no split affecting the current register.  It would be much more
> user-friendly if the transaction remained locked into its current
> position in the current register until it has been completed, regardless
> of what is changed during the editing process.  Alternatively, a
> transaction should not be edited in-place in the register, but in a
> separate panel.

I agree with transactions that disappear automatically.

> 3.  There is no "undo" function beyond the "cancel" mechanism, which only
> permits one to undo non-completed changes to a transaction.  The ability
> to undo a completed change (multi-level would be good, but single level
> would be OK) would be useful.

Would be nice.

> 4.  When dealing with files (eg, exporting reports, opening an accounts
> file, etc) gnucash does not remember the last directory used.

Would be nice.

> 5.  When exporting reports, gnucash does not suggest a file name.  It
> would be helpful if it generated a default file name based on the name of
> the report.

Would be nice.

> 6.  When one has a report open, a change to the accounts is not
> automatically reflected in the report, and there is no clear method of
> forcing the report to refresh.  Not automatically updating the report is
> a perfectly justifiable position.  However, in that case I would expect
> to find a "refresh reports", or possibly a "refresh current report"
> button, or a "refresh report" option in each report's right-click menu.
> Currently to refresh an existing report one has to fiddle about with the
> report options...

Maybe an alert box (or indicator) to say the report is out of date so
the user knows to reload/refresh/regenerate the report.

Cheers, Brendan.