unstable version installation in Ubuntu

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Wed Mar 10 10:31:31 EST 2010

am65 <amarquez65 at yahoo.es> writes:

> I have 2.2.9 in my 9.10 Ubuntu. But I'm anxious to test the 2.3.10 unstable
> release.
>
> In the files for the 2.3.10 download there are with the following
> extensions:
>
> .dmg
> .tar.gz
> .tar.bz2
>
> Which one I need to download for Ubuntu 9.10?
>
> Should I uninstall the 2.2.9 before installing the unstable version?
>
> Is it easy to install for an ex-windows console-averse user? Because if it's
> a bit complex I think I will wait until the 2.4.x versions are available in
> the Ubuntu repositories.

If you're console averse then yes, you should wait.  The process is
rather straightforward but only if you're comfortable working with the
terminal and command-line tools to install the dependencies and
build/install the application.

Luckily Ubuntu makes the first job relatively easy.  Just run:
  apt-get build-dep gnucash
and it will install all the build dependencies.  Then you need to
unpackage the tarfile, run configure, make, and make install..

but it's not for the light-at-heart.