Tithing sales

John Layman john.layman at laymanandlayman.com
Wed Mar 10 12:49:17 EST 2010

My wife and I have a consulting practice.  Rather than tithing income, we
tithe gross receipts, minus reimbursed expenses, minus payments to
subcontractors.  I use a spreadsheet, rather than GnuCash, for tracking
this.

Presumably, your Sales account is an income account, and the "other side" of
a sales transaction should be a Receivable asset.  [Since it's possible to
have uncollected receivables, it may be more appropriate to tithe receipts
rather than sales.]  When you actually receive payment, the Receivable
amount transfers to some other asset, most likely a bank account.  But you
don't want to misrepresent the balance in your bank account by transferring
money out that you haven't actually paid.  The more appropriate thing would
be to set up a liability account called something like Unpaid Tithes, but
you'd have to remember to reflect 10% of all receipts in this account, when
collected.  One side of that transaction would increment a Tithe expense
account, while the other would increase the Unpaid Tithe liability.  The
tithe check you eventually write would both deduct the money from the
checking account and reduce Unpaid Tithes.