Can't open gnucash

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Wed Mar 10 22:29:35 EST 2010

On Mar 10, 2010, at 9:46 AM, Judy Thorne wrote:

> Hi, John --
>
> I have no idea whether my userid is an "administrator." How would I tell? From your response, it probably isn't. How do I become an administrator?
>
> I'm using my Apple ID and password that I use to update software, as you said, but still have this problem. I hope there's a way to fix this.
>
> I appreciate your quick response.

Please remember to CC the list with your replies.

You can look at System Preferences>Users (I think it's "Users" on Tiger... it's the one with the little people icon) and select your userid. If the check box labelled "Allow user to adminster this computer" is checked, then you're set. If you've successfully installed software with that userid, it's an administrator.

Some other things to check: First, start /Appllications/Utilities/Console and select "console log". Try to start Gnucash. See what messages come up.

Open a Finder window and select Go>Go to Folder from the menu. Type "/opt" into the dialog box and click on "Go". See if there's already a Gnucash-2.2.9 (which should have a folder icon with a little arrow in it). If there is, select it and press command-I (or select File>Get Info from the mennu) and see what the original is. It should be a unix-style path (meaning that it uses "/" between folder names) with the path to Gnucash.

Regards,
John Ralls