Newbie problems with OFX import and Imbalance account

Paul Ortega paul9807 at pobox.com
Thu Mar 11 21:45:59 EST 2010

I have recently installed GnuCash and have hit a snag involving
importing OFX files.

I downloaded three months of transactions activity from my Chase Visa
account and the transactions were added to the Liabilities:Visa account
and the Imbalance account.

When I tried to sort out the Visa transactions by changing the Transfer
from Imbalance to the correct account, I had to click on the account in
the Transactions column, then scroll in the menu to choose the correct
account.

This becomes time-consuming when sorting out a large number of transactions.

I would like to be able to select a number of transactions and change
the Imbalance account to the same account.

For example:
I would like to sort the transactions in the Visa account by
Description.  This would group the transactions at a single merchant
together.  For example, the transactions at ACME Supermarket would then
appear in a group of consecutive lines.
Then, I would like to select them and change the account from Imbalance
to Expenses:Groceries in all of them at once.

Is this possible?
If not, can the multiple selection capability be added soon?