Debit Memo?

Pablo Francesca rshgeneral at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 14 04:43:03 EDT 2010

I'm not sure if this a feature request or if I'm missing some gnucash accounting procedure.
I have a customer who wishes to make a payment and have any outstanding credit on his account applied to his spouse's account.  This seems straightforward enough in accounting terms. I would take a payment (credit Accounts Receivable) and debit increase Assets: Undeposited Funds (dummy account used as intermediary to other asset accounts).  I would then create a credit memo (Payment) on the spouses account.  I would then like to create a debit memo.  I assumed I could then credit (decrease) Assets: Undeposited Funds and debit accounts receivable.
My goal in all of this was to show a full payment on the customer's account along with a debit memo and also show a credit memo (payment) on the spouse's account.
Problems arise because while Gnucash will let me credit Assets: Undeposited Funds and debit Accounts Receivable, none of my actions seem to have any affect on customer reports or Receivables Aging reports.
So I dug into Accounts Receivable and while it seems you can manipulate values for Ref, Action, Customer, and Date, none of your actions seems to have any effect on customer reporting.
I briefly thought about creating sub accounts under Accounts Receivable for each customer but my initial tests still indicate that this cumbersome approach still doesn't adequately report my attempts at creating a debit memo.
I suppose at this point, someone might point out that I might simply create an invoice with a dummy invoice number and a memo that indicates that it is not an actual invoice, but merely a credit memo.  Well, yes, this makes the customer reporting work, but then I'm left with incorrectly recorded income. It makes no sense to create an invoice for a service that was not provided.
So in the end I just decided to split the payment for the customer and his spouse (I still noted the spouse payment as a credit memo).  While this satisfies for accounting and reporting purposes, it still seems to bug me that the customer's reporting will still show a payment amount that is different than the actual payment received. (even though the discrepancy is noted).

Am I missing something or is there no way to create something in gnucash akin to a Debit memo?